WHY DO I YAWN?
Yawning is normal.
From babies to grandparents – everybody yawns.
Even your pets and wild animals yawn.
So why do we yawn?
Well, the truth is we don’t know for sure, but we have a few ideas on why people yawn.
One theory is when we are tired (or bored), we don’t breathe as deeply (we may be taking shallow breaths), we’re breathing more slowly, so yawning helps bring extra oxygen into our body.
This would be a reflex motion. Something we can’t control.
It’s Just a Theory
Our body is very good at monitoring oxygen levels, so we think yawning is a mechanism that helps control oxygen intake.
However, there have been studies that show we still yawn even when we are breathing normally and have ample oxygen.
Another Theory …
Another theory, although we’re not certain, is yawning helps us stay awake by forcing us to stretch.
The actual act of yawning stretches the lungs and lung tissue, but we also tend to flex various muscles and joints as well, leading us to feel more awake.
… and Another Theory!
There’s a third theory that yawning is a protective reflex that helps keep our lungs lubricated.
When we yawn, we redistribute the substance called surfactant (say: sur-FAK-tint).
This keeps our lungs lubricated and also keeps them from collapsing.
Here’s What We Know For Sure
Whatever the reason, we do know one thing for sure; Yawning is contagious.
If you yawn in front of others, you’ll notice other people around you will start yawning, too.
Try it next time you’re with friends – take a big deep yawn then watch the action. Sometimes even thinking about a yawn can get you yawning.
Did you yawn yet?
Questions? Please Ask, We’re Always Happy To Provide More Information
- Why Is Kidcrew Involved In Medical Research? - June 10, 2019
- How To Use A Puffer - November 18, 2018
- Roseola In Kids - November 18, 2018
- Constipation In Babies - November 18, 2018
- Diaper Rashes In Babies - November 17, 2018
- Newborn Rashes and Baby Acne - November 17, 2018
- How To Deal With infant Gas - November 17, 2018
- How To Protect Kids From Ticks and Other Bugs – original - November 17, 2018
- WHY DO I YAWN? - March 14, 2018
- WHY DOES MY NOSE RUN? - March 14, 2018